Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Hint of Spring


A few days ago, right on schedule, my flying friends came to pollenate my loquat tree. I captured them on camera feasting away at my little fruit buds. I love that they arrive in December, because it helps drive the winter blues away. When I see them, I know I have a little harvest to look forward to in the spring.

The loquat tree was in the ground when we bought our house. It took me a whole year just to find out what it was exactly. According to my research, the fruit is difficult to grow in most areas, but thrives well in Zone 9 and 10 and also in Asia. My favorite part about my loquat tree is that I do not tend to it at all. I do not fertilize it, water it any extra that I do other plants, and I do not prune. Yet, it still blesses me every year. Sometimes I think nature just needs to be left alone, because it was taking care of itself long before we were there.


No comments: