Monday, January 12, 2009

An Alternative to Composting..for Now

Well I have been daydreaming of starting a compost bin for the past few weeks. I had a compost pile once, but in my sand trap of a backyard, it was hard to march over there at night to drop scraps into it; not to mention I didn't feel like pitchforking that thing with Texas-sized critters running around. So after I saw Frugal Babe's Worm Composting article, I decided that this was a better solution because I can keep it in the garage or close to the back door. Unfortunately, these magical ideas land in my lap right when things are taking a turn for the worse. I just can't afford to get the supplies at this time. So I have been sticking to my can't-really-compost-but-I-don't-want-to-throw-it-away method: I just toss the stuff in the backyard.

Now this may seem icky to some people who actually don't want to share their backyard with "visitors", but not us. Our backyard needs an overhaulin', and since we can't afford to do that either, we only go out there to hang up the laundry. So whenever I have scraps I just open the back door and practice my baseball arm. And to show that this method works, and it makes me feel like I am part of the circle of life, here's a few pictures...


There he or she is..just a friendly neighborhood squirrel trying to carry some stale homemade bread up the tree. (You may wonder why I didn't make bread crumbs out of it, but hey, baby steps here.) I watched this squirrel for about a half hour trying to chew his way little by little to make the bread light enough to carry. When he finally achieved victory, he got to the top, got spooked and dropped the bread. Whoever says that squirrels can't look like "Oh crap!", they're lying. I left him alone and later that day the bread was gone. So yes I may not be inviting the best creatures into my yard, and I may have more luck with the worms, but this is working for now.

No comments: