Friday, January 16, 2009

Pulled Pork

We had this for dinner last night. I tend to buy what meats are on sale and pork roast was only 89 cents a pound. Figured I had to try it. It was my first time cooking with Boston Butt so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I doctored it my way and it came out great. This recipe is for a smaller cut because there's only two of us, so adjust the recipe to accomodate a larger cut. Try it!

1-2 lbs. Boston Butt pork roast
1/2 large onion, cut as desired
1/2 bottle barbecue sauce
Spices - I used salt, oregano, basil, pepper, garlic powder
Olive oil

Turn Crock Pot on HIGH and add onion and enough water to cover meat (you can always add more later).

Rinse meat under cold water. Coat both sides lightly with olive oil. Rub in desired spices and broil each side for 5 minutes on a cookie sheet.

Place meat into Crock Pot. Make sure the water is covering the meat. Cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 hours then turn to LOW for 4 hours, or cook on low for 8 hours. The longer is cooks on low the more tender the meat will be.

* 1-2 hours before serving, scoop out most of the water and leave only half the meat exposed. Add half a bottle of barbecue sauce and mix. Let finish simmering, while turning the meat every now and then.

To serve, shred meat and serve on hamburger buns with sauce mixture.

2 comments:

Lacy said...

Hey Sid,

I found you via Frugal Hacker.....

My husband and I have started a website called www.weusecoupons.com. I'm creating a blog wall, full of useful blogs that have a frugal christian perspective! I'm one of those crazy couponing ladies, and if you're interested let me know!! If you could link us back that would be great too....more traffic for all!!!

Here is the blogwall url:
http://www.weusecoupons.com/index.php?pageid=blogroll

We have created a coupon database.

If you have any questions please shot me an email!

Blessings,

Lacy

50s Housewife said...

I do something similar with beef brisket when it goes on sale. My family loves it.